Best places in Istanbul

Sait Halim Pasha Mansion

The first owners of the mansion are believed to be the Duzogullari Family. The Aristarhis Family who acquired the mansion from the Duzogulları demolished it to construct a completely new one around 1863. Abdulhalim Pasa bought the mansion, which was considered to be a wreck and not big enough to suit Egyptian aristocratic taste, from the Aristarhis Family and instructed architect Petraki Adamandidis of Canakkale to rebuild it. After Abdulhalim Pasa's death in 1890 the property was inherited by his nine sons. Sait Halim Pasa, gathering all shares from his brothers came into the sole ownership of the mansion in 1894. In 1968, the mansion was purchased by Turizm Bankası (Tourism Bank) and converted into a casino serving only foreign guests. Due to safety conditions such as fire, the operation of the mansion was handed over to Hilton. Although some minor alterations were made in 1974, a major renovation was held during the years 1980-1984 by TAÇ Foundation under the instruction of Turizm Bankası. Turizm Bankası merged with Türkiye Kalkınma Bankası (Turkey Development Bank) thus making the mansion the property of Türkiye Kalkınma Bankası. The garden was used as a restaurant during the summer and the mansion itself partially as a museum. Later on the mansion became the summer residence of the Prime Ministry and was used for government events and meetings. The mansion underwent a fire in 1995 and its restoration as “Official Guest House of the Prime Ministry” was completed in 2002. The restoration was done according to the original architectural style of the mansion in the1890's. The mansion has not been in use since the restoration and its operation has been turned over to Göçtur Tourism in 2004.

Copyright © 2011 - 2015 VIP DMC Turkey - Value Integrity Performance